Try serving this Carne Asada with warm tortillas, fresh cilantro, pico de gallo, and queso fresco.
- 1 (2 lb.) outside skirt steak
- 1 (7-oz.) can chipotle in adobo
- 3 fresh oranges, juiced
- 3 fresh limes, juiced
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 (16-oz.) container sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Cut skirt steak into 5-inch pieces with the grain; transfer pieces to a gallon zipper bag.
- In the pitcher of a blender add 5 of the peppers from the can of chipotle in adobo, the orange juice, lime juice, garlic cloves, brown sugar, olive oil, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Blend on high until a smooth sauce forms.
- Pour half of the sauce into a zipper bag along with the steak. Remove air from bag, seal tightly; gently shake bag to distribute sauce around each piece of steak. Refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight. Transfer remaining sauce to a non-porous container. Cover and refrigerate.
- Remove steak from refrigerator, let stand 1 hour before grilling.
- Meanwhile, make the chipotle crema. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, cilantro, and remaining marinade. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare gas or charcoal grill for high heat cooking. Remove excess marinade from steaks. Place steak pieces on grill. Cook, turning occasionally until charred on both sides and internal temperature registers 112 on an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the steaks, about 3 to 4 minutes each side, depending on thickness of steaks.
- Transfer steak pieces to a cutting board. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain. Serve immediately with chipotle crema .
Refrigerate or freeze the remaining chipotle in adobo for other recipes.