To use fresh tomatoes, you’ll want 2 cups of diced tomatoes and some added liquid. See more information on this in the article above.
- 3 Tbsp. bacon fat*
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- In a skillet, warm the bacon fat over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour. Cook, whisking often, until it turns a dark beige, or light brown color, 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Slowly drizzle in the broth, a little at a time, whisking to keep the mixture smooth.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Turn heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick enough that you can see the bottom of the skillet for a moment when you swipe your wooden spoon through it, 2-3 minutes.
- Turn heat to low. Stir in the cream. Stir and cook for 30 seconds to heat through.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper, if desired.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!
*If you don’t have bacon fat, or if you want to make this vegetarian, use 3 tablespoons of butter instead.