Make a Subway Sweet Onion Sauce copycat with this delicious recipe. Perfect on sandwiches and salads!
Listen to learn how to make this recipe, along with some great tips from Christine:[sc name="sweetonionsaucerotd"][/sc]
- 1/2 tsp. neutral oil, like grapeseed
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled, sliced thin
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 and 1/4 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add oil, onions, and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and well browned, about 12 minutes. Adjust heat as needed to prevent burning.
- Transfer onions to a blender. Add water and remaining ¾ teaspoon of the salt. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer onion mixture to a fine mesh sieve. Strain liquid from onion mixture into same skillet until onion mixture is nearly dry.* Add sugar, vinegar, cornstarch, onion powder, and garlic powder to skillet. Whisk until no lumps remain.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Bring to boiling, reduce to a simmer. Cook, whisking constantly 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat, let cool at least 30 minutes. Transfer mixture to a container. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!
*Save the onion pulp for other recipes, like onion jam, soups, or mashed potatoes.