This Skillet Lasagna is the perfect lasagna dinner for the any night of the week. It’s ready in 35 minutes and just as delicious as its layered cousin.
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 24-oz. jars marinara sauce
- 1 and ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 8 oz. precooked Italian sausage, diced
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 and ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- 10 lasagna noodles, broken into 2–3 pieces each
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup ricotta
- 15 – 20 basil leaves
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch cast iron or regular skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil starts to shimmer add the onion and cook until it is translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the marinara sauce and chicken broth. Simmer for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the sausage, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning into marinara sauce.
- Stir in the lasagna noodles making sure that the noodles are submerged in the sauce.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until the noodles become tender, stirring every 5 minutes, about 15 – 20 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of water if the noodles have absorbed all of the cooking liquid before they are cooked through.
- Top with the mozzarella, and allow to melt, about 3 minutes.*
- Remove from heat, dollop ricotta cheese over the top and sprinkle with basil leaves.
*If you prefer a browned top, place the skillet under the broiler for a few minutes and then top with the ricotta cheese and basil.