Salsa Chicken takes a few ingredients and turns them into your new favorite weeknight meal.
- Cooking spray
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- 1 and ½ cups salsa
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 green onions (optional), chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 13×9″ baking dish with cooking spray (or use an oil mister like this).
- Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise so that each one is two portions.
- Arrange chicken breast portions in a single layer in the baking dish.
- Top evenly with the salsa. It’s fine if some of the salsa spills off of the chicken portions and into the baking dish.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through to 165°F as read on an instant read thermometer, about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the chicken breast portions. Bake until cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to plates and top each portion with a dollop of the sour cream and some of the green onions, if using.
*8 boneless skinless chicken thighs can be substituted for the 4 large chicken breasts. Keep the thighs rolled up as they are sold in the packaging. Do not cut them in half but otherwise proceed with the recipe exactly as written.