This quick chicken tortilla soup recipe uses salsa to deepen the flavor instantly. The soup is ready in less than 15 minutes. To make the soup as quick as possible, first read through the recipe. As you read, gather up all the tools, pots, bowls and ingredients that you’ll need. Then start cooking.
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1–28oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup medium-heat low-sodium chunky salsa
- 3/4 lb. thin chicken breast cutlets
- 1–15.25 oz. can black beans
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions
- 1 avocado
- fresh cilantro
- 20 tortilla chips
- Put a large pot or Dutch oven on the stove over high heat. Pour in the chicken stock, diced tomatoes and salsa. Cover and let it come to a boil.
- Meanwhile, shred the cheese, chop the green onions, chop the avocado, and pluck about 20 cilantro leaves. Put each ingredient into its own little bowl.
- Slice the chicken cutlets into 1/4″ slices. When the stock comes to a boil, add the chicken. Reduce heat to a low simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the black beans and add them to the soup. Let them heat through for 30 seconds or so.
- To serve: Get out 5 bowls and crunch 2 tortillas into each one. Ladle soup into the bowls. Crunch another 2 tortillas onto the top of each. Let people add their own other toppings as desired.