No need to defrost first—poached chicken from frozen is 100% easy and 100% delicious!
- 4 (7-8 oz.) frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups cold water, or more if needed
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8–10 peppercorns (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed (optional)
- a handful of fresh parsley (optional)
- Put the chicken in a skillet large enough to hold it in a single layer.
- Add the water and sprinkle the salt on top. (If the water doesn’t cover the chicken, add more until it does.) Add the peppercorns, garlic, and parsley, if using.
- Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- Maintain a gentle simmer for 3 minutes.
- Turn the breasts over, then cover the skillet and remove it from the heat.
- Let the chicken sit in the hot water until the internal temperature is 150°F, about 12 minutes. (The time will vary depending on the size of the breasts.)
- Take the chicken out of the water and let it rest at least 5 minutes before slicing or serving.