Get a taste of traditional style Philly Cheesesteaks from your own kitchen!
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make these sandwiches, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="phillycheesesteakrotd"][/sc]
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb. ribeye steak, trimmed and finely sliced
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 2 hoagie buns
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until just starting to soften, 3-4 minutes. Increase heat to medium high.
- Add steak and stir. Move the meat and onions around to form a single layer and leave it alone for a minute, until it darkens underneath. Stir and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Arrange meat in the skillet into two oblong piles that are the length and width of your buns. Top each pile with two slices of cheese covering as much of the meat as possible.
- Use a knife to split the buns lengthwise, cutting about 3/4 of the way through the buns so that they’re still attached on one edge.
- Place buns on top of meat piles. Leave there for a minute until cheese is melted and bun is slightly warmed.
- Use a large spatula to invert the piles of meat onto a plate such that the bun is on the bottom and the meat is on the top.