This Millet Breakfast Skillet Recipe is quick, hearty and very satisfying. And the crunchy crust is amazing!
- 1 cup uncooked millet (or use 3 and 1/2 cups cooked millet and skip step #1 below)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 Tbsp. milk
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 oz. diced ham
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- In a medium saucepan combine the uncooked millet with 3 cups cold water and the salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and let bubble until tender, stirring occasionally, 15-20 minutes. Drain well.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, milk, and cornstarch.
- Add the ham, 3/4 cup of the cheese and the cooked millet. Stir to combine.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in an oven-safe nonstick or well-seasoned 10″ cast iron skillet. Spread the oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the millet mixture and spread it out. Press down and smooth it down. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes (this gets the crisping and browning started).
- Transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake until top looks dry and edges are browned, 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkled with remaining cheese and bake for another minute or two, just until cheese is melted.
- Run a knife around edge of the pan. Cut into wedges and serve.