The tastiest beets are always roasted beets. And, if you learn how roast them properly, roasting is the least messy way to cook them too. It’s a win-win!
- 5 beets
- aluminum foil
- wooden skewers
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Line an 8×8″ baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Rinse the beets well rubbing lightly with your fingers. Don’t worry if some dirt clings to near the stems. You’ll be trimming that all off later.
- Arrange beets in a single layer in.
- Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 2 hours. Beets are done when a wooden skewer slides in easily.
- Let the beets rest until cool enough to handle. Use your fingers to rub the skin and peel it off. Note that some beet skins are stubborn and you may have to use a paring knife to remove the skin.
- Trim both ends off of each beet. Transfer beets to a plate.