This is the best way to cook shrimp. They end up so tender and juicy.
- 12 large shrimp (21–25 count per pound, deveined and peeled or deveined and easy peel, tail on)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 of a lemon
- 8–10 peppercorns (optional)
- Handful of fresh parsley (optional)
- Fill a 3 quart saucepan 3/4 full of water.
- Add salt. Squeeze the juice of the lemon into the pot and add the peel and flesh once squeezed. Add the peppercorns and parsley if using.
- Bring the pot to a rapid boil over high heat.
- Remove from the heat and let it stop boiling.
- Add the shrimp. Stir. Put the lid on the saucepan.Cover the pot. Let sit for 4-5 minutes, until shrimp are opaque and pink.
- Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath: In a large bowl put two cups of ice cubes and fill halfway with cold water.
- When shrimp are cooked, drain off the hot liquid and transfer shrimp (but not the aromatics) to the ice bath. Let them sit in there for a few minutes to fully cool off before draining.
- Serve as is or peel them first.