Get my recipe for for super easy royal icing without dealing with fresh egg whites. Perfect for cookie decorating!
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 Tbsp. meringue powder
- 8–9 Tbsp. warm water
- Food coloring (optional)
- In a large bowl stir together powdered sugar, meringue powder, and water until smooth.
- For white icing, thin as needed with additional water, adding 1 teaspoon at a time until the mixture is slightly thinner than toothpaste.
- For colored icing, divide mixture into several portions and add a few drops of food coloring to each portion. Stir well to combine. Add water, a few drops at a time, to thin as needed.
- Transfer to piping bags to decorate, store leftovers in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.