Step-by-step instructions with pictures for how to make a flour gravy that’s delicious and has the correct thickness every single time. The ratio of flour to fat to stock is given as well as the method for how to combine everything to make it taste amazing.
- 4.5 Tbsp. butter or fat rendered from a roast
- 4.5 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups drippings from roast (fat removed) or unsalted broth
- salt, pepper, and seasonings to taste
- Melt the butter or fat in a medium saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat.
- Whisk flour into fat.
- Whisk in 1/2 cup drippings until smooth. Whisk in another half cup. Repeat until all drippings are used.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1 minute. Taste and add salt, pepper, and seasonings.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Serve warm.
This recipe is for 6 servings. See step #4 above if you need more or fewer servings. Calculations are given there for how much fat, flour, and liquid you need per person.