Here’s how to cook salmon so it’s perfectly crisp on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside—every time!
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this salmon, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="perfectsalmonrotd"][/sc]
- 4 (5-6 oz.) salmon fillets, about 3/4-inch thick, with or without skin, whichever you prefer
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Sprinkle both sides of the salmon with the salt and pepper.
- Preheat a large oven-safe skillet (large enough to hold the salmon without crowding) over medium-high heat.
- When the skillet is good and hot, add the oil.
- When the oil is good and hot, add the salmon (skin-side down, if yours has skin) and cook undisturbed until well browned, 3 or 4 minutes.
- Turn the salmon and place the skillet in the oven until the salmon is barely opaque throughout*, 3 or 4 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven (be careful—it will be very hot). Transfer the salmon to plates and let rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
*According to the USDA, salmon is fully cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 145F. You can use an instant-read thermometer for this, or cut into a fillet to make sure that it is no longer translucent inside and that it is flaky throughout.