Fresh herbs, garlic, and butter help create an amazing steak. Try serving with baked potatoes and your favorite veggies.
The timing in this recipe cooks the steak to medium.
- 2 (¾ lb.) New York strip steaks
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 5 Tbsp. salted butter
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
- Sprinkle salt evenly over all sides of both steaks. Rub salt into each side and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add steaks. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add butter, rosemary, thyme, and garlic to pan. Stir to distribute throughout pan as it melts.
- Flip steaks. Reduce heat to medium. Cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes for medium, basting top of steaks with butter.
- Transfer steaks to a cutting board. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
- Transfer butter and pan juices to small ramekin or heat-proof container for serving with steaks.