Learn how to cook ground beef the right way so it stays juicy but gets nicely browned. I’ll show you my secrets so it comes out perfectly every time.
- 1 lb. ground beef, I like to use 85% lean
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. salt (if desired)
- 1/4 tsp. pepper (if desired)
- About 15-20 minutes before you’re going to cook the beef, remove it from the fridge so it can come closer to room temperature. This helps it cook more evenly.
- In a large skillet, preferably cast iron, heat the olive oil over medium heat for about 2 minutes until hot.
- Add the ground beef and, using a spatula, press the beef into an even, flat layer in the pan, almost like you’re making a big hamburger.
- Let it cook untouched for 5 minutes. This is what helps create a brown crust.
- Start to break apart the meat, flipping it over.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes until cooked through, and then go back with the spatula and break apart into smaller clumps.
- Season with salt and pepper, if using. Stir.
- Remove from heat and use as desired.