Learn how to cook filet mignon steaks to perfection. Tender beef tenderloin filets are seared on the stove for a delicious special meal.
Listen to learn how to make this recipe, along with some great tips from Christine:[sc name="filetmignonrotd"][/sc]
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 (6 oz.) filet mignon steaks
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter (optional)
- Sprinkle the salt evenly over all sides of each steak. Set aside 30 minutes to allow steaks to come to room temperature, if desired (see info about this above).
- Preheat a medium cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to skillet and swirl it around.
- When oil is shimmering, put steaks in the skillet. Cook 5 minutes. Turn steaks, cook until desired temperature is reached, as read on an instant-read thermomter (see * below for approximage times and temperatures).
- If desired, slice butter and put it on top or underneath the steaks. Let steaks stand 5 minutes before serving.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!
*If steaks are cooked straight from the fridge, they may need additional time.
Rare (120-125°F): 4 minutes each side
Medium-Rare (125-130°F): 5 minutes each side
Medium (135-140°F): 6 minutes each side
Medium-Well (145-150°F): 7 to 8 minutes each side
Well (160°F+): 8-10 minutes each side