Soaking lean meats in a salt water solution is so easy and it makes such a difference! Here’s how to brine.
- 4 cups cold water
- 6 Tbsp. Diamond Crystal kosher salt, 4 1/2 Tbsp.Morton’s kosher salt or 3 Tbsp. fine or table salt
- 2 Tbsp. brown or white sugar (optional)
- Lean meat for brining
- Optional ingredients: peppercorns, juniper berries, rosemary, thyme and/or sage sprigs, bay leaves, allspice berries, whole cloves, star anise, other favorite herbs and spices
- In a large nonreactive container, combine the water, salt and sugar (if using), stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar.
- Transfer to a resealable bag, add the meat and any optional ingredients and seal the bag, squeezing out as much air as possible.
- Set aside in the refrigerator for 4- 6 hours for chicken breasts, 1-inch thick pork chops or pork tenderloins, 8-12 hours for a whole chicken or turkey breast, 12-24 hours for a whole turkey or pork loin.
- Remove the meat from the brine, pat it dry, and proceed with your recipe.
Note: This recipe makes enough brine for 4 pork chops, 4 chicken breasts or 2 pork tenderloins. Double, triple, or quadruple the recipe for bigger cuts or larger batches.