Soaking lean meats in a salt water solution is so easy and it makes such a difference! Here’s how to brine.
Listen to learn how to make this recipe, along with some great tips from Christine:[sc name="howtobrinerotd-2"][/sc]
- 4 cups cold water
- Salt (6 Tbsp. Diamond Crystal kosher salt OR 4 and 1/2 Tbsp. Morton’s kosher salt OR 3 Tbsp. table salt)
- 2 Tbsp. brown or white sugar (optional)
- Lean meat for brining
- Optional ingredients: peppercorns, juniper berries, rosemary, thyme and/or sage sprigs, bay leaves, allspice berries, whole cloves, star anise, other favorite herbs and spices
- In a large nonreactive container, combine the water, salt and sugar (if using), stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar.
- Transfer to a resealable bag, add the meat and any optional ingredients and seal the bag, squeezing out as much air as possible.
- Set aside in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours for: chicken breasts, 1-inch thick pork chops, and pork tenderloins; for 4-6 hours for a whole chicken or a turkey breast; 6-8 hours for a pork loin; 12-24 hours for a whole turkey.
- Remove the meat from the brine, pat it dry, and proceed with your recipe.
Note: This recipe makes enough brine for 4 pork chops, 4 chicken breasts or 2 pork tenderloins. Double, triple, or quadruple the recipe for bigger cuts or larger batches.