Shake and Bake is easy to make at home. It just takes some seasonings and breadcrumbs, plus a little trick where you add oil to the crumbs.
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this dish, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="shakenbakerotd"][/sc]
- 1 cup unseasoned, plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 – 2 and ½ lbs. of skinless chicken pieces or pork chops*
- In a ziptop bag, mix together the breadcrumbs, onion powder, dried parsley, dried basil, salt, paprika, and garlic powder. Store in sealed bag until ready to use, or up to 6 months.
- When ready to use, preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Add the oil to the bag and squeeze it around until all the crumbs are coated.
- Moisten two pieces of poultry/meat with water, shaking off any excess. Put the pieces into the bag. Seal the bag and shake. Remove the pieces and put them onto the prepared pan. Repeat with remaining pieces.
- Bake until cooked to a safe temperature, 165°F for chicken and 140-165°F for pork, as read on an instant read thermometer pierced into the thickest part without not touching any bone. That will be approximately 45 minutes for bone-in chicken and for thick bone-in pork chops, or 25-30 minutes for boneless chicken pieces or for most boneless pork chops.
*Note: Nutritional info is given for 2 lbs. of boneless skinless chicken breasts coated in the mixture.