This Millet Pancake Recipe is easy and gluten-free and it makes such tasty, crunchy pancakes. It is perfect as a base for smoked salmon or caviar because the millet gets very crispy when panfried.
- ¾ cup uncooked millet
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup Greek yogurt, divided
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- 6 tsp. vegetable oil
- 4 oz. smoked salmon
- 2 Tbsp. chopped dill
- In a medium saucepan combine the millet with 3 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and let it bubble until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain well. Return millet to the saucepan and spread it out in there.
- In a medium bowl beat the eggs lightly. Add 1/3 cup of the Greek yogurt, the cornstarch and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir. Add the millet and the green onions and stir until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 250F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium heat in a large nonstick or well-seasoned cast iron skillet.
- Add 4 big spoonfuls to the pan, spaced out with room to smoosh them down.
- Smoosh them until they’re pretty flat and about 3 inches round. Cook until bottoms are well browned, 2-3 minutes, adjusting temperature if they’re cooking too quickly or not quickly enough.
- Flip and cook until small brown spots appear on the underside, about 1 minute more. Transfer pancakes to a pan and put in the oven to stay warm (or see note* below for Make-Ahead instructions).
- Add 2 teaspoons more oil to the pan and cook another batch of 4 pancakes. Then 2 teaspoons more oil and another batch of pancakes.
- Remove pancakes from the oven. Arrange 3 pancakes on a plate.
- Top with 1 ounce of smoked salmon, a heaping tablespoon of Greek yogurt and one quarter of the dill.
- Repeat with remaining pancakes.
- These pancakes can be made ahead. They won’t be quite as crisp but they’re still delicious. Here’s how to do it: Once you have removed the pancakes from the skillet, transfer them to a plate to cool. Once all pancakes are cooked and then cooled, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 5 hours. When ready to serve, arrange them in a single layer on a pan. Heat at 400F until heated through, 6-8 minutes