This healthier twist on the classic Sweet Potato Casserole uses low-fat vanilla yogurt instead of butter and cream. And there are fewer marshmallows on top. Gobble it up and don’t feel any guilt about the Pumpkin Pie that’s waiting for you after dinner!
- 3 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- A pinch of nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
- brown sugar (optional)
- 4 large egg whites OR 2 large whole eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease or spray a 2.5 quart casserole dish.
- Put the sweet potatoes in a medium sauce pan with enough water ust to cover them. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to as simmer and cook until fork-tender, 5-7 minutes. Drain them.
- Return the sweet potatoes to the pot and use an egg beater to mash them up (or transfer them to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat them in there.
- Add the yogurt, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Beat some more. Taste it. If it’s not sweet enough for you, beat in brown sugar 1 tablespoon at a time and taste.
- Once you’re satisfied with the sweetness, add the eggs and beat them in as well. Transfer the mixture to the lightly greased (or sprayed) casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Top evenly with the pecans and marshmallows and continue to bake until marshmallows are puffed and lightly browned, 10-15 more minutes.