A creamy and delicious macaroni and cheese that has no butter, very little cheese, and uses pureed carrot for a robust orange color. But nobody will ever know. It really does taste that good!
Here are some tools that I find helpful for making this recipe:
Listen to me briefly explain how this healthier mac and cheese is made, with great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="healthymaccheeserotd"][/sc]
- 1 lb. large elbow macaroni
- 3 medium carrots, chopped (that’s about 1 and ¼ cup of chopped carrots)
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Meanwhile, put the carrots in a medium sauce pan with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- While the carrots cook, measure the flour and 1 cup of the milk into a jar with a tight fitting lid. Put the lid on and shake really hard until well-combined.
- Put the carrots and their cooking liquid into a blender or food processor and puree really really well until very smooth. Scoop the carrot back into the saucepan and add the flour mixture as well as the remaining 1 cup of milk.
- Bring up to a bubble over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Once it is bubbling remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan, cheddar, garlic powder, and salt. Taste and add more salt if desired.
- Combine sauce with the cooked drained pasta.