Shrimp cocktail in England is different than in North America. In England it’s called Prawn Cocktail and they use a different sauce, among other things.
Listen to learn how to make this recipe, along with some great tips from Christine:[sc name="englishshrimpcocktailrotd"][/sc]
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. ketchup
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. lemon juice (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. hot sauce, like Tabasco (optional)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 20 large cooked shrimp, deveined, peeled but with tail on (buy them already cooked or learn how here)
- 8 small butter lettuce or romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and cubed (learn how to cut an avocado here)
- 4 slices of buttered whole wheat bread, quartered
- Lemon wedges for optional garnish
- In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, and salt. Taste.
- Add any or all of the lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and cayenne pepper. Stir.
- Put two lettuce leaves into each of four small serving bowls (martini glasses are great for this!).
- Top each set of lettuce leaves with ¼ of the avocado cubes. Drizzle each with ¼ of the sauce.
- Hook shrimp around the edges of the serving bowls, 5 shrimp per bowl.
- Put each serving bowl onto a plate. Onto each plate plate put 4 quarters of buttered bread. Top avocado with a lemon wedge, if desired.