A quick and easy vegetable soup! You can use the vegetables listed below or go with whatever bits and pieces of raw or cooked veggies that you have in your fridge. Yield: 7 cups
Listen to me briefly explain how this vegetable soup is made, with great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="vegsoupupdatedrotd"][/sc]
- 4 cups low or no-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 6 oz. pre-trimmed green beans
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can reduced-sodium cannellini beans (also known as “white kidney beans”)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 handful of basil, parsley, or cilantro (for garnish)
- ½ of a lemon
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce*
- Measure the broth into a large microwave-safe bowl. Add the diced tomatoes. Microwave on high for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the oil. Roughly chop the carrot matchsticks. Add to the oil. Stir and cover. Chop the green beans into 1 inch pieces and add to the carrots. Stir and cover. Peel and chop the onion. Add it to the pot. Stir and cover. Peel and mince the garlic. Add it to the pot along with the salt and pepper. Drain the beans and add them to the pot. Add the peas and corn to the pot. Cover.
- When the microwave finishes, add the hot broth mixture to the pot. Cover pot and increase heat to high. When it boils, reduce heat to a moderate simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until carrots and green beans are tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the basil, parsley or cilantro. Juice the half of a lemon.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped herbs.
*Worcestershire sauce is not vegetarian. To make this soup vegetarian either skip this ingredient or try a vegan version of the sauce, like this one.