The key to making this soup so quickly is to chop the potatoes really finely. The key to making it so tasty is the bacon fat mixed with flour and water that is stirred into the soup. This spreads a bacon flavor throughout every mouthful.
To get this soup done really quickly, read through the recipe first. As you read it, gather together all ingredients, pots, pans, knives and other tools that you will need so that everything is at your fingertips. Enjoy! -Christine xo
Yield: 7 and ½ cups
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 3 medium baking potatoes, in 1/4 inch dice
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 Tbsp. sour cream
- Measure the chicken broth into a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the finely diced potato to oil. Stir and cover. Stir often but keep covered between stirs.
- Meanwhile, put the bacon in a large pan over medium high heat. Cook flipping occasionally until cooked through, 5-6 minutes. Once done, transfer bacon to a plate but leave the bacon fat in the pan.
- When microwave is done, pour heated broth over the potatoes and add the salt. Increase heat to high. Stir. Keep it covered until it reaches a boil. Reduce heat to a vigorous simmer stirring occasionally.
- While soup is simmering, measure flour into a large mason jar. Add the water and shake a lot until well-incorporated. Pour flour mixture into the bacon fat. Stir well. It should thicken from the remaining heat in the pan. If not, heat it over low until thickened. Add the bacon fat mixture to the soup and stir it up a lot.
- Use a fork to test if potatoes are tender. If fork goes into a cube easily, then they’re ready. Use a potato masher to mash up some of the potato a bit.
- Transfer cooked bacon to a cutting board. Chop it and stir three-quarters of it into the soup. Save the rest as a garnish for the soup.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top each serving with some of the bacon, the shredded cheese, the chopped green onion, and some sour cream.