Are you deep frying a turkey and wondering how to make gravy for it? You totally can! You don’t need the roast drippings to make delicious gravy. Learn how to make gravy without drippings here. Also, learn how the same technique can be used to make an easy make-ahead gravy so that your roast dinner prep is a breeze.
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- Optional: 4 mushrooms (sliced), 1 rib celery (roughly chopped), 1 carrot (roughly chopped), 1/2 bell pepper (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white wine or water
- ½ tsp. poultry seasoning
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic Powder to taste
- In a large skillet heat the butter over medium heat. Let it melt and get slightly brown. Add the onion, garlic halves, and any optional vegetables. Cook stirring often until everything is browning a bit but nothing is burnt.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in the flour. Return to heat and whisk and cook the flour mixture until it is lightly brown.
- Add the wine and stir to bring up any brownings that are stuck to the pan. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in the poultry seasoning.
- Whisk in the chicken broth 1/4 cup at a time, keeping everything smooth as you go.
- Once all the stock is added, heat over medium heat to a simmer, stirring often.
- Strain gravy through a fine mesh sieve.
- Taste. Stir in salt, pepper, garlic powder, and more poultry seasoning, if desired.