An easy garlic soup recipe that you thicken using bread. It has a smooth rich flavor and will definitely keep the vampires away this Halloween!
To get this soup ready in under 15 minutes first read through the recipe. As you read, gather together all ingredients, pots, pans and tools that you will need. That way everything will be at your fingertips when you start. No need to prep any ingredients though. All the prep is in the instructions and contained within the 15 minute time. (For a vegan soup use vegetable broth, a bread that doesn’t contain eggs or dairy, and skip the sour cream or use a dairy-free version).
Yield 8 cups. Serves 6-8 as an appetizer.
- 7 cups no or low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 15 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. coarse black pepper
- 6 slices of bread (fresh or stale, white or whole wheat)
- 1 green onion
- 1/3 cup sour cream (optional)
- Measure the broth into a large microwave-safe bowl and put it in the microwave for 7 minutes.
- Put a large pot or Dutch oven on medium heat with the olive oil. As it heats, peel and roughly chop the onion. Add it to the olive oil and stir.
- Stir the onion occasionally as you peel the garlic cloves. Arrange all the peeled garlic in a single layer on your cutting board and run a knife through it all several times to roughly chop it. Add it to the onions and cook stirring continuously for 1 minute. Season with the salt and pepper and stop the microwave (if it’s still going) and add the heated broth. Stir and cover. Increase heat to high.
- Chop the bread into 1/2 inch cubes. Add them to the soup and stir. Put the lid back on.
- Chop the greens of the green onion. Set aside.
- Once the soup is simmering and the bread is well-soaked, which it should be by now, transfer soup in batches to a blender and puree until very smooth. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Ladle into bowls and top each with some of the sour cream, if using, and chopped green onions.