Borscht is a beet-based soup that I grew up eating throughout the year, but especially on Ukrainian Christmas Eve. This Homemade Borscht Recipe is the easiest and quickest ever – ready in under 15 minutes!
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this quick and delicious soup, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="borschtrotd"][/sc]
- 4 cups low or no-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. neutral oil (like vegetable or grape seed)
- 1 medium potato
- 1 cup carrot matchsticks
- 1 small onion
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. coarse black pepper
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 2 big handfuls of fresh dill
- 2 (15 oz.) cans “original cut” beets
- 2 tsp. white vinegar
- 6 Tbsp. whipping cream or sour cream to serve
- Measure the broth into a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave it for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Chop the potato into a small (¼ inch) dice. Add it to the pot. Increase the heat to medium-high. Stir and then cover the pot.
- Roughly chop the carrot matchsticks. Add them to the pot. Stir and cover.
- Chop the onion. Add it to the pot. Stir and cover.
- When the broth is done heating, add it to the pot along with the salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to high, cover and let it come to a simmer. Reduce heat to a moderate simmer.
- While the broth is simmering in the pot, put the frozen peas and beans in the microwave-safe bowl and heat until defrosted and warm, about 2 minutes.
- While the peas and beans heat, chop the dill. Add half of it to the pot of soup. Put the rest aside for now.
- Put a colander over a bowl and pour in the cans of beets. You need the liquid so do not discard it.
- Put the drained beets into a food processor and process until they’re in small pieces.
- When the potatoes in the pot are tender add the vinegar, the beets, and the beet liquid and the heated peas and beans. Heat on high until simmering.
- Stir in the remaining dill. Taste and add more vinegar and black pepper as needed.
- Serve with either whipping cream or sour cream on the side for people to add to their bowls of soup.