Super-smooth and creamy apple sauce that doesn’t require peeling the apples.
This recipe is baked in the oven and then pureed until very smooth in a high-powered blender. If you don’t have a high-powered blender, use a regular blender or food processor but only fill it half full and add dribbles of liquid to help it really whiz around to get a smoother texture. Yields 10 cups.
- 6 lbs. apples (about 12-15 medium apples), cored
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves (optional)
- Lemon juice (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice the apples into about 10-12 slices each. Put them into a Dutch oven or large pot with lid along with the brown sugar, cinnamon and cloves (if using). Stir.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Stir. Cover and continue to bake until very soft, about 20-30 minutes more.
- Transfer some of the apples to a high-powered blender like a Blendtec or Vitamix, only filling it half full. Drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice. Puree until very smooth.
- Taste and add more lemon juice if desired. Transfer puree to a bowl and repeat in batches with remaining apples.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!