NOTE: I recently remade this recipe and the sauce was too thick for me. I don’t know if eggs are getting bigger, or if I’m buying bigger ones, or what. Anyhow, I am now recommending 5 egg yolks from large-sized eggs (not extra large and not jumbo). The sauce was nice and thick but still a bit pourable. And, the leftovers set up into spreadable hollandaise, which I love on a toasted English muffin for a quick treat!
- 5 egg yolks (from large eggs)
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted* butter
- Put the eggs, lemon juice, salt, and cayenne in the blender.
- Pulse a few times to mix. Scrape down sides of the blender.
- Melt the butter in the microwave until melted and steaming.
- With the blender running at medium speed, slowly drizzle the butter into the eggs. It should thicken by the time you’ve added all the butter.
- Continue to blend for an additional 30 seconds for additional thickness.
- Serve immediately. (You can reheat hollandaise sauce slowly in the microwave, 15 seconds at a time stirring between heats, just until warm, not hot.)
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!
*I recently made the above recipe using salted butter and also the 1/2 teaspoon of salt called for. It was way too salty. Therefore, if you use salted butter, omit the 1/2 teaspoon of salt from the recipe. Instead, make the sauce, taste it, and then add more salt if needed. Pulse a few times to blend it in.