Peppery country sausage gravy is perfect comfort food over biscuits for breakfast or brunch.
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 (16 oz.) package bulk, uncooked breakfast sausage
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add sausage.
- Cook, stirring frequently until well browned, breaking large clumps into small crumbles.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over browned sausage, stir to coat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add milk and pepper, stir until well combined.
- Bring to boiling, reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes, until sauce thickens. Add optional salt to taste.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!
- Gravy can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container up to 7 days, or in the freezer up to 1 month.
- Prepared bulk sausage may already contain salt, in which case, you won’t need to add the optional ¼ teaspoon. Taste the gravy before adding any of the optional salt called for in the recipe to prevent the gravy from becoming too salty.