Learn how to make versatile cream of chicken soup from scratch. It’s great in comfort food dishes or eaten alone with a little bit of parsley.
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion, very finely minced or pureed
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely minced or pureed
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup finely diced cooked chicken (leftovers work great)
- Add the butter to a large saucepan and heat over medium heat until melted and bubbly.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute for 3 minutes.
- Then, add the flour, salt, and pepper and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock and whisk it into the flour.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, add the cream and chicken, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and serve.
- To store the soup, pour it into glass jars with a lid and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days, or freeze in feezer safe bags in 2 cups portions to thaw and use later.