This classic soup is better than ever because of the addition of Parmesan and garlic. You’re going to love it!
If you want an asparagus garnish like in the picture, before blending the soup rescue a couple of asparagus tips and then chop them. You can alternatively use chopped chives or a swirl of whipping cream as a garnish. Or both!
Yield: 7 cups
- 4 cups low or no-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion
- 2 lbs. asparagus
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 oz. parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Measure the broth into a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put a large pot or Dutch oven over low heat. Cut the butter into small pieces and add it to the pot. As it melts, peel and chop the onion. Add the onion to the butter. Stir and cover. Increase heat to medium.
- Trim the tough ends off of the asparagus as described in the blog post above. Discard ends. Chop remaining asparagus into small (½-inch) pieces. Add to the onions. Stir and cover. Peel and mince the garlic. Add it to the asparagus along with the salt. Stir.
- At this point the broth should be finished heating. Add it to the asparagus. Cover. Increase heat to high and bring soup to a boil. Reduce to a simmer.
- Cook until asparagus is tender, 2-3 minutes. While it cooks, shred the Parmesan.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Add the cream and heat through over medium heat but do not bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese.