This Chimichurri Steak and Rice Bowl brings together all kinds of amazing ingredients for a flavorful dinner you’ll love.
- 1 (1 and ½ to 2 lb.) flank steak
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- ¾ cup uncooked basmati or jasmine rice*
- 1 and ½ cups chicken stock or water
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into ¾-inch pieces
- ½ cup firmly packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon of the salt evenly over both sides of the flank steak.
- In a medium saucepan bring chicken stock and another ½ teaspoon of the salt to boiling. Add rice, stir to combine. Reduce heat and continue simmering until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add flank steak, cook 6 minutes on each side for medium. Transfer steak to a clean cutting board and let rest.
- To the same skillet, add remaining two tablespoons of the olive oil and heat over medium until shimmering. Add tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, red onion, and ½ teaspoon of the salt. Toss ingredients in pan to coat in salt and oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, allowing vegetables start to char in the pan, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to a blender or food processor add parsley, oregano (if using), garlic, olive oil, vinegar, the final ½ teaspoon of salt, and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Cover blender/processor and pulse 4 to 5 times or until desired consistency.
- Slice steak thinly against the grain.
- To build the steak bowls, divide rice evenly between four bowls (about ½ cup each). Place five to six pieces of sliced steak on top of rice, along with about ½ cup of the vegetables per bowl. Drizzle chimichurri sauce over steak. Serve with additional chimichurri sauce on the side.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!
*Or use about 2 and ¼ cups cooked rice and skip Step #2. Instead, put cooked rice in a microwave-safe container. Add a drizzle of water or stock. Cover loosely and microwave 40 seconds at a time stirring at each interval, until heated through.