This easy breakfast casserole mixes from-scratch country sausage gravy with refrigerator dough biscuits for a family-pleasing breakfast in less than an hour.
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this breakfast casserole, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="biscuitsgravycasserolerotd"][/sc]
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 (16 oz.) package bulk, uncooked breakfast sausage
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 and ¼ cups milk or half-and-half
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. salt (optional)
- 1 (8 count) pkg. refrigerated biscuit dough
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add sausage. Cook, stirring frequently until well browned, breaking any clumps into small crumbles.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over browned sausage, stir to coat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add milk, pepper, and onion powder; stir until well combined.
- Bring to boiling, reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Add optional salt to taste.
- Transfer sausage gravy to a rectangular 1-quart baking dish or square 2-quart baking dish.
- Cut raw biscuits into quarters. Scatter biscuit pieces evenly on top of gravy.
- Place pan in oven. Bake 25 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
- Remove pan from oven, let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Taste the gravy before adding the optional salt called for in the recipe. Depending on the brand, bulk sausage may already contain salt, so you may not need to add any to the gravy.