Stuffing is one of those essential holiday dishes and my mom’s is the best. That’s why I watched her make a batch and asked her to tell me her secrets. Once you know the steps to make my mom’s basic stuffing recipe, you can switch it up with different ingredients and flavorings.
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this Amazing Stuffing Recipe, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="stuffingrotd"][/sc]
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tsp. poultry seasoning, divided
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 tsp. black pepper, divided
- 15 thick slices of bread (day old is best), in 1-inch cubes
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 and 1/2 cups milk or chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease 12 non-stick muffin cups (size 2 and 1/2″ by and 1/4″).
- Warm the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions, 1 teaspoon of the poultry seasoning, 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1 teaspoon of the pepper and cook stirring occasionally until the onions are very well softened but not browned, 6-8 minutes.
- Put the bread cubes into a large bowl. Scrape all of the onions and butter onto the bread. Stir well.
- Combine the eggs and milk. Pour about half over the bread and stir.
- Snag a handful of moistened bread and squeeze. If droplets of liquid come out, you’ve added enough liquid. How dry the bread was to start and the type of bread used affects how much liquid you’ll need. If necessary, add more liquid until the bread is saturated enough to yield small drops when squeezed.
- Stir in the remaining teaspoon of poultry seasoning, of salt and of pepper. Smell the stuffing. It should have a strong herby and peppery scent. If not, you may want to taste the stuffing. My mom and I taste it raw but you can alternatively microwave a bit until heated through and then taste it. Add more seasoning as needed.
- Divide the stuffing among the muffin tins. They will be well-mounded.
- Bake until brown and crunchy on top and heated through, 30-40 minutes.
- Run a plastic knife around the edges of each muffin cup and then gently remove the portions of stuffing.