Learn how to make a delicious and simple cheese sauce that is perfect for homemade macaroni and cheese or to drizzle over vegetables.
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Dijion mustard (optional)
- a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour and whisk together to form a paste. Cook for 2 minutes while whisking continuously.
- Add 1/4 cup of the milk and whisk until smooth. Repeat until you’ve added 1 cup of milk. Add remaining milk and stir to combine. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil while whisking constantly.
- Let boil one minute and take off the heat.
- Add cheese, salt, and Dijon and cayenne pepper, if using. Stir until cheese is melted.