This is the easiest Beet and Kale salad to make. It has apples and the best creamy, tangy dressing on top. Who knew you could make something so sophisticated at home?
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. prepared horseradish
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 8 cups baby kale or dark salad green mix
- 1 apple, cored and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can sliced beets, drained and cut in half (or 3 fresh beets, peeled and simmered until tender and then sliced ¼ inch)
- 1 oz. Manchego or Parmesan cheese (or 2 oz. creamy goat cheese)
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in the water, vinegar, sugar, horseradish, and salt.
- Add the mayonnaise and stir until the sugar has dissolved, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Divide the kale or salad greens among 4 plates. Top with the apple slices and beets.
- Use a potato peeler to shave Manchego or Parmesan cheese over each salad or dollop each with some of the goat cheese.
- Drizzle each salad with 2 tablespoons of the dressing.
- You will not use up all the dressing. Store the remainder in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.