This quick beer cheese soup has some Canadian bacon in it for smoky flavor and it’s topped with quick garlic croutons for some crunch.
To make this soup in under 15 minutes, first read through the recipe. As you read gather together all of the ingredients, tools, pots and pans you’ll need so that everything is ready to go. There is however no need to prep any ingredients. All of the prep is explained in the instructions and is included in the 15 minute time. See you in 15!
Yield 6 cups.
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this soup, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="beercheesesouprotd"][/sc]
- 3 cups low or no-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- Black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. neutral oil (grape seed or vegetable)
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 rib celery
- 1 small onion
- 2 thick slices of bread
- 2 garlic cloves, divided
- 6 oz. Canadian bacon or black forest ham
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 12 oz. beer (lager or ale, depending on what you like)
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 12 oz. shredded cheddar cheese (buy it shredded)
- Put the broth in a large pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper. Cover and allow to come to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- While the broth heats, warm the oil and butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Mince the celery and add it to the skillet. Stir. Finely chop the onion and add it. Stir. Let it cook. Put the bread into the toaster and toast it. Meanwhile, finely chop the Canadian bacon and add it to the onions. Stir. Mince one garlic clove and add it as well. Reduce heat to low.
- Cut the second garlic clove in half. When the toast has finished toasting, rub the toasts with the cut side of the garlic clove. Discard remaining garlic (or save it for another use). Cut each slice of bread into 16-20 cubes. Set aside.
- Add the flour to the onion mixture in the skillet. Stir to coat everything in flour. Add about 1/4 cup of beer. Stir. Add another 1/4 cup of beer. Stir. Continue until all the beer has been added.
- Take the broth off of the heat. Add the beer mixture all at once. Stir and then put the soup back on high heat and bring it to a simmer. Add the half and half. Return to a simmer. Remove the soup from the heat and add the shredded cheese. Stir until it melts in. Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top each serving with garlic croutons.