This apple cobbler recipe is as classic-tasting as they come, but it’s got the easiest, tastiest topping ever.
- 5 tart, firm apples, peeled, cored and chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 1 tube (8 oz.) of refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 3/4 cup whipped cream or ice cream (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 2.5 quart casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl combine apples, brown sugar, flour, lemon juice, ginger and cinnamon. Pour into the prepared casserole dish. Top with the walnuts.
- Open the crescent roll dough. Unroll the dough onto a cutting board. Cut the dough into 1/2 inch strips. Cut strips into 1/2 inch pieces. It’s alright if pieces stick together. Pulling off clumps of two to four pieces at a time, arrange the dough over the walnuts in a single layer.
- Bake until topping is very well-browned browned, 45-60 minutes. Allow to rest for 15-20 minutes. Scoop into dessert bowls and top each serving with 2 tablespoons of whipped cream or ice cream.