Mussels are a great protein for a busy weeknight because the cook so quickly. Try them in this quick soup.
To make this soup in under 15 minutes first gather together all of the tools, pots, pans and ingredients that you’ll need. But don’t do any prep. All of the prep is contained within the instructions and is included in the 15 minute cooking time. See you in 15!
Yield: 12 cups
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 large handful fresh parsley
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 – 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low or no-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 lbs. fresh live mussels
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. peel and chop the onion and add it. Chop the parsley and set it aside. Mince the garlic cloves. Add garlic to onions along with red pepper flakes. Stir. Let cook for 30 seconds. Add the wine. Stir.
- Open the cans of crushed and diced tomatoes and add them to the pot along with the chicken broth, salt and half of the chopped parsley. Stir, cover and increase heat to high. Cook until it reaches a boil. Reduce to a heavy simmer.
- While the soup heats up, remove the beards from the mussels (just pull off the thread that runs along them, if that thread is there) and gently scrape off any barnacles. Put them in a colander and rinse with cold water. If any mussels are open, tap them. If they close they’re fine. If they stay open, discard.
- Once the soup is simmering, add the mussels. Cook until all mussels have opened. If most have opened, discard any that have stayed closed.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!