Slow cooked with a 13-bean mix and topped with a slice of garlic cheese toast, this bean soup recipe makes a filling bowl of healthy and comfort.
- 2 cups of 13 Bean Soup Mix, soaked (see soaking instructions above in post)
- ½ of a medium onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped, divided
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 2 carrots, diced
- 48 oz. of low-sodium chicken stock
- 14.5 oz. can of petite cut tomatoes with the juice
- ½ lb. fully-cooked smoked sausage, like kielbassa, finely diced (optional)
- 1 and ⅓ cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 Tbsp. of chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8–10 slices of multigrain bread
- In large pot, combine the soaked beans, onion, three-quarters of the red pepper, the smoked paprika, thyme, carrots, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer until the beans are beginning to tenderize, about 30-45 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes with their juices, 1 teaspoon and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Return pot to a simmer and cook until beans have reached the desired level of tenderness. For me, that’s another 45 more minutes.
- Add the sausage, if using, and cook until it’s warmed through, about 5 minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sized bowl, combine the mozzarella with the remaining bell pepper, parsley, garlic, and olive oil.
- Toast the bread slices.
- When the soup is ready, preheat your broiler.
- Ladle the hot soup into oven-safe bowls. Top each bowl of soup with a slice of toast and 3 tablespoons of the cheese mixture. Transfer the bowls to a large baking sheet (this makes it easier to carry them and easier to get them out from under the broiler ). Put the baking sheet full of bowls under the broiler and broil until the cheese is melted and bubbling and just beginning to brown.
- Remove pan of soup bowls from oven and serve.