Cooked slowly with a 13-bean mix, this bean soup recipe makes a pot of the most delicious bean soup. Enjoy! -Christine xo
- 3 cups of 13 bean soup mix*
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 14.5 oz. can of petite cut tomatoes with the juice
- 3/4 lb. fully-cooked smoked sausage, like kielbasa, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- Measure the beans into a large pot. Cover by 2 inches with cold tap water. Bring to a boil over high heat, uncovered. Remove from heat. Cover and let sit for 1 hour.**
- Drain the beans and rinse them off.
- Return the beans to the pot and add the onion, red pepper, carrots, garlic, smoked paprika, thyme, black pepper, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer until the beans are beginning to tenderize, about 30-45 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes with their juices, the sausage (if using), and the salt. Return pot to a simmer and cook until beans have reached the desired level of tenderness, another 45-60 minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if desired.
*That’s approximately 1 pound and 4 ounces of dried beans. If your package has 1 pound and 14 ounces, you can use the whole thing, just add an extra cup of stock in Step #3.
**Alternatively, do an overnight soak by measuring the beans into a large pot and cover by at least 2 inches with cold water. Cover and let sit for 12-24 hours.