This tapas-inspired appetizer is made of zucchini slices topped with black-olive tapenade, feta, and basil. They’re super easy to put together, healthy, and the flavor is both fresh and rich.
I really love tapenade. It’s typically made with black olives and I can never get enough of that briny flavor. So much so, that I have found unique and interesting ways to eat more of it.
Finding a healthy way to serve it was essential to me if I wanted to eat as much of it as I truly do. I therefore often dip veggies in it, which is how these zucchini canapes came about.
These zucchini tapenade bites are so easy to make. You slice a zucchini. You can use cucumber if you like that more. It’s just a bit juicier. Then you top each slice with a bit of tapenade, some feta cheese, and a basil leaf. That’s really it.
If you’re in the mood for extra time in the kitchen, you can make your own tapenade. I have a recipe over here for a really tasty version that uses kalamata olives. The nice thing about making your own is that you can customize it. For instance, I like to add a lot of garlic.
Having said that, there’s nothing to stop you from buying some from the grocery store, or online (I like this brand), and then adding some extra garlic or fresh parsley to the mix.
If you’re looking for a quick and simple, but delicious, appetizer or snack, I think you’ll love this one.
Enjoy! -Christine xoPrint
These pretty and tasty bites come together in minutes. You can use a packaged tapenade or make your own.
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make these appetizers, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:
- a 6″ zucchini cut on the diagonal into 1/4″ slices
- 1/4 cup tapenade (black olive puree)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 6 large basil leaves, each torn into 4 pieces
- Arrange zucchini slices on a serving platter.
- Top each slice with 1/2 teaspoon of tapenade. Sprinkle the feta cheese over top of the platter (it’s o.k. if some isn’t on top of the zucchini slices. Trust me that people will scoop it up with their fingers if need be).
- Drop the basil leaves over top and serve.