These vegan meatballs get delicious flavor from sautéed mushrooms and they get great texture and protein from chickpeas.
- Approx 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 14 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 (16 oz.) cans low-sodium chickpeas, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped roughly
- 3 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. nutritional yeast for serving (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and spread them so they cover the bottom of the pan. Cook until browned on the bottom, 4-5 minutes. Stir.
- Continue to cook mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until they are browned and softened all over, another 3-4 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of the salt and cook and stir for another 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer mushroom to a food processor or high-powered blender. Pulse until in very small pieces. Add a drizzle of water if that helps them to blend.
- Transfer mushrooms to a fine mesh sieve. Press out as much liquid as possible. Return them to the food processor.
- Add the chickpeas, garlic, Italian seasoning, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the pepper. Pulse until well blended. You want it to be a lumpy mixture that holds together.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the flour. Mix with hands until combined.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop out meatballs. Roll with hands into balls.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pour oil into a non-stick or cast iron skillet until it coats bottom. Heat over medium-high. Add meatballs. Cook until brown underneath, 2-3 minutes, and then turn. Continue to cook and turn until brown on all sides.
- Transfer balls to a baking sheet and put into oven for 30 minutes.
- Toss with your favorite sauce. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast if desired.