These stuffed apples are a stunning side dish. They’re filled with a sausage, pine nut and rosemary stuffing and are perfect served with roast chicken or roast pork. Beyond being amazingly delicious, these stuffed apples are a fabulous make-ahead side dish and can be prepped up to 24-hours before baking.
- 6 apples
- ½ lb. cooked Italian sausage (about 3 links), chopped or crumbled
- 1 cup cubed fresh bread
- 3 Tbsp. pine nuts
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 and ½ tsp. olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl combine the sausage, bread crumbs, pine nuts, and rosemary.
- Cut the top third off of an apple. Use a melon baller to scoop out the core of the apple along with some of the flesh, leaving ¼ to ½ inch around the edges. Repeat with remaining apples.
- Arrange apples in a baking dish.
- Divide the sausage mixture among the apples, squashing it gently so that it all fits. The stuffing will be mounded above the apples. Drizzle each mound of stuffing with ¼ teaspoon of the olive oil.
- Bake until the apples are tender, 50-60 minutes. Use a metal spatula to lift apples out of the baking dish and onto a serving plate.