Roasted Asparagus with Basil and Pistachios
Note: COOK the STORY may receive a commission on purchases made through Amazon/affiliate links.
Asparagus is such a delicious vegetable and its flavor works with a variety of different ingredients. Today I’ve paired Roasted Asparagus with Basil and Pistachios. So full of fresh green flavor.
My ideas for new recipes come from everywhere, from things I eat in restaurants, things I see in magazines, cookbooks and food blogs, food that friends tell me about, foods from my past and from my ancestors. But my favorite recipe ideas come from a particular process that I use.
I’ll think to myself that I want to do a recipe with, for instance, roasted asparagus. Then I turn to one of two books, The Flavor Thesaurus or the Food Bible. These books are organized by ingredient and tell you what other flavors compliment them.
Sometimes the suggestions are obvious. Like broccoli and cheddar cheese. Or apples and cinnamon. But sometimes I’m surprised. That’s what happened when I looked up asparagus in “The Flavor Thesaurus.” It listed mint. Really? Mint?
It turns out that asparagus with a bit of mint is an amazing thing. And that’s how I ended up coming up with this recipe for Asparagus with Mint and Lemon.
Then it happened again. I found myself thinking about making an asparagus dish. This time I turned to my “Flavor Bible.” It listed basil. Roasted asparagus and basil didn’t seem so far-fetched. It sounded pretty delicious. I looked further and say pistachios on the list. In they went for added flavor, color and crunch.
This roasted asparagus and basil recipe is really easy to make. The flavors are crisp and light and it’s the perfect way to add color to your plate. And you’re not going to believe how well it all goes together.
Roasted Asparagus with Pistachios and Basil
Asparagus, basil and pistachios go together really well. You're going to love how easy and delicious this dish is.
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed
- 1 oz roasted, salted pistachios
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 12 basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Arrange asparagus in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Shell and roughly chop the pistachios. Sprinkle them over the asparagus. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast until bright green and tender, 12-15 minutes depending on thickness of the asparagus.
- Transfer asparagus and pistachios to a serving plate and gently tear the basil leaves over top.
8 Responses to “Roasted Asparagus with Basil and Pistachios”
- An Easy Asparagus Appetizer Recipe with Slivers of Parmesan Cheese
- Asparagus with Roasted Potatoes, Seared Lemon, and Mint
- Shrimp Scampi Pasta Bake
- Asparagus with Pistachios and Basil from Cook the Story - Yum Goggle
- 30+ Amazing Asparagus Recipes - A Family Feast