Pizza dough skillet bread is really easy to make. Just place fresh pizza dough into a skillet and I like to top it with cheddar and apples for a twist.
- If making homemade pizza dough, make this first and let proof (or rise) until double then punch down. Continue with steps below.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of the oil into a 10 inch cast iron (or oven-safe non-stick) skillet. Use your fingers to rub the oil all over the bottom and up the sides of the skillet.
- Center the rectangle of dough over the skillet and then allow the middle to sink in. Fold the corners in towards the center, squishing the dough until it fits. Brush the top of the dough with another teaspoon of olive oil.
- Lay the apple slices in a single overlapping layer on top of the dough. Brush the tops of the slices with the final teaspoon of olive oil. Sprinkle on the cheddar followed by the fennel seeds and the sea salt.
- Bake for 15-19 minutes, until the top and bottom of the bread, are golden brown and the cheese has become dark and a bit crunchy is a few spots.
- Cut into wedges and serve hot.