These mashed potatoes use olive oil instead of butter for richness and creaminess. This recipe is easy to make and the result is sunny yellow potatoes.
- 4 lbs. red potatoes, in 2-inch chunks
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus additional for drizzling on top
- Put potatoes and salt in a large sauce pan and add just enough water to cover. Heat over high until it reaches a boil.
- Remove cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer on low until potatoes are fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain, but reserve 1 cup of the cooking water. Add half of the reserved water. Mash a bit. If soaked up and not too liquidy add 1/4 cup more. Stir. If soaked up, add 1/4 cup more. Then add the olive oil. Mash.
- Drizzle with the additional olive oil before serving.