Nacho Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Note: COOK the STORY may receive a commission on purchases made through Amazon/affiliate links.
Happy National Grilled Cheese Month! Today I’m celebrating with a nacho grilled cheese sandwich that has Doritos inside. Crunch!
It’s National Grilled Cheese Month! Be prepared, you’re going to be seeing grilled cheese sandwiches everywhere for the next 30 days. Isn’t that a great thing?
Previously, I showed you a grilled cheese sandwich that uses Parmesan cheese mixed with butter. It’s spread onto the crust for flavor and for a crunch that will remind you of the crispy edges of a lasagna pan.
Let’s get back to today’s grilled cheese. This sandwich is not about the crunch of the bread. It’s about crunch on the inside. I’ve done something a bit wacky. I’ve put Doritos inside the sandwich.
Doritos and grilled cheese are good separately. But together? It’s mind-blowing. The key is to not let the chips get very hot or damp. That leads to a soggy mess. You need to cook the sandwich open faced and add the chips right before you’re done grilling. Then you put the sandwich together, cut and eat.
If you want to really go crazy, try experimenting with other flavored Doritos. The brand has 15 different flavors. A Cool Ranch grilled cheese? Yes, please. A Fiery Habanero grilled cheese also sounds good right about now.
Now that’s a grilled cheese worth celebrating.
And now the Nacho Grilled Cheese Sandwich…
This grilled cheese sandwich has zesty chips right inside. They add flavor and tons of crunch. The key is to add the chips right at the very end of cooking the sandwich. Otherwise they get soggy. Find out how to do it below. Note that this sandwich calls for mayonnaise on the outside of the bread. The reason is that mayonnaise browns better than butter. But you can absolutely use butter if you’d prefer.
- 4 thick slices of Italian bread
- 4 tsp. mayonnaise
- 1 cup fancy shredded Mexican cheese blend
- jalapeno rings to taste
- 8 zesty Doritos
- Preheat a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium- low heat.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise. Arrange the bread mayo-side-down in the skillet in a single layer. Put about 1/4 cup of cheese onto each slice of bread, spreading it out to cover the surface. Top with as many jalapeno rings as you’d like. Cook until cheese is melted and bread is browned underneath, adjusting the temperature as needed to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Remove two slices of bread to a cutting board. Top each with 4 Doritos in a single overlapping layer. Top each with another slice of the bread, cheese side down. Push down slightly to break the chips up and then cut each sandwich in half.
20 Totally Delicious Cheesy Dishes | Nutmeg Nanny
Nacho Grilled Cheese Sandwich | malireads
Breakfast Grilled Cheese With A Crunchy Maple Crunch
How to Make the Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich
12 Grilled Cheese Recipes to Heat Things Up
Leave a Comment