You’ve gotta try this new riff on Chicken Parmesan. It’s Mussels Parmesan. It’s made by steaming mussels in a delicious tomato sauce and then topping them with lots of mozzarella and crunchy breadcrumbs.
- 1 (28 oz.) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (24 oz.) can tomato sauce
- ½ tsp. salt, divided
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 40 fresh mussels, shells scrubbed and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large oven-safe frying pan, combine the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, ¼ teaspoon of the salt, and the black pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs, olive oil, garlic powder, and the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Check that all of the mussels’ shells are closed firmly. Discard any that are not closed.
- Place the rest in a single layer in the tomato sauce. Stir.
- Top with the mozzarella and then with the breadcrumbs. Bake until mussels are opened and crumbs are brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and garnish with basil leaves, if using.